Assistant Professor of Systems and Industrial Engineering
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Vignesh Subbian is an Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Systems and Industrial Engineering, member of the BIO5 Institute, and a Distinguished Fellow of the Center for University Education Scholarship (CUES) at the University of Arizona (UArizona). His professional areas of interest include medical informatics, healthcare systems engineering, and broadening participation in engineering and computing. Dr. Subbian leads the Computational Medicine and INformatics (COM-IN) Collaboratory, an engineering-driven, cross-disciplinary biomedical research and training hub at the UArizona. Funded through the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), research efforts in the COM-IN Collaboratory leverage systems engineering and computational methods including machine learning for clinical and healthcare applications. Current patient populations of interest include cardiovascular diseases, traumatic brain injury, and respiratory disorders. Dr. Subbian is the principal investigator on an NSF Smart and Connected Health award to develop advanced computational models and informatics tools for critical care medicine.
Dr. Subbian’s educational research is focused on asset-based practices, ethical decision-making, and formation of identities in engineering. Currently, he co-leads the STEM in HSI working group and the Data Science Ambassadors Program at UArizona. He also leads the Collaborative for Engineering Education Research and Outreach (CEERO), a cross-college, interdisciplinary network of faculty, staff, and students to promote engineering education at all levels.
- Ph.D. Computer Science and Engineering
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
- M.S. Electrical Engineering
- University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Software Engineering, Biomedical Data Science and Informatics
Medical Informatics, Healthcare Systems Engineering, Acute Respiratory Failure, Traumatic Brain Injury, Engineering Ethics, Asset-based Practices
- Subbian, V., Galvin, H. K., Petersen, C., & Solomonides, A. (2021). Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues (ELSI) in Mental Health Informatics. In Mental Health Informatics(pp 479--503). Springer.
- Franco, M., Lozano, G. I., & Subbian, V. (2020). HSIs and Community Partners: A Framework for Strengthening Servingness Through Engagement. In Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs) in Practice: Defining "Servingness" at HSIs(pp 153-174). Information Age Publishing.
- Alper, B. S., Dehnbostel, J., Afzal, M., Subbian, V., Soares, A., Kunnamo, I., Shahin, K., McClure, R. C., & , C. K. (2021). Making science computable: Developing code systems for statistics, study design, and risk of bias. Journal of biomedical informatics, 115, 103685.
- Chou, E., Boyce, R. D., Balkan, B., Subbian, V., Romero, A., Hansten, P. D., Horn, J. R., Gephart, S., & Malone, D. C. (2021). Designing and Evaluating Contextualized Drug-Drug Interaction Algorithms. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA) Open, 4(1), ooab023.
- Ehsani, S., Reddy, C. K., Foreman, B., Ratcliff, J., & Subbian, V. (2021). Subspace Clustering of Physiological Data From Acute Traumatic Brain Injury Patients: Retrospective Analysis Based on the PROTECT III Trial. JMIR Biomedical Engineering, 6(1), e24698. doi:10.2196/24698
- Essay, P., Mosier, J., & Subbian, V. (2021). Phenotyping COVID-19 Patients by Ventilation Therapy: Data Quality Challenges and Cohort Characterization. Studies in health technology and informatics, 281, 198-202.
- Giangreco, N. P., Lina, S., Qian, J., Kuoame, A., Subbian, V., Boerwinkle, E., Cicek, M., Clark, C. R., Cohen, E., Gebo, K. A., Loperena-Cortes, R., Mayo, K., Mockrin, S., Ohno-Machado, L., Schully, S. D., Tatonetti, N. P., & Ramirez, A. H. (2021). Pediatric data from the research program: demonstration of pediatric obesity over time. JAMIA open, 4(4), ooab112.
- Gutruf, P., Utzinger, U., & Subbian, V. (2021). Moving from Pedagogy to Andragogy in Biomedical Engineering Design: Strategies for Lab-at-Home and Distance Learning. Biomedical engineering education, 1(2), 301-305.
- Lane, J. C., Weaver, J., Kostka, K., Duarte-Salles, T., Abrahao, M. T., Alghoul, H., Alser, O., Alshammari, T. M., Areia, C., Biedermann, P., Banda, J. M., Burn, E., Casajust, P., Fister, K., Hardin, J., Hester, L., Hripcsak, G., Kaas-Hansen, B. S., Khosla, S., , Kolovos, S., et al. (2021). Risk of depression, suicide and psychosis with hydroxychloroquine treatment for rheumatoid arthritis: a multinational network cohort study. Rheumatology (Oxford, England), 60(7), 3222-3234.
- Recalde, M., Roel, E., Pistillo, A., Sena, A. G., Prats-Uribe, A., Ahmed, W. U., Alghoul, H., Alshammari, T. M., Alser, O., Areia, C., Burn, E., Casajust, P., Dawoud, D., DuVall, S. L., Falconer, T., Fernández-Bertolín, S., Golozar, A., Gong, M., Lai, L. Y., , Lane, J. C., et al. (2021). Characteristics and outcomes of 627 044 COVID-19 patients living with and without obesity in the United States, Spain, and the United Kingdom. International Journal of Obesity, 45(11), 2347-2357.
- Roel, E., Pistillo, A., Recalde, M., Sena, A. G., Fernández-Bertolín, S., Aragón, M., Puente, D., Ahmed, W. U., Alghoul, H., Alser, O., Alshammari, T. M., Areia, C., Blacketer, C., Carter, W., Casajust, P., Culhane, A. C., Dawoud, D., DeFalco, F., DuVall, S. L., , Falconer, T., et al. (2021). Characteristics and Outcomes of Over 300,000 Patients with COVID-19 and History of Cancer in the United States and Spain. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention, 30(10), 1884-1894.
- Tan, E. H., Sena, A. G., Prats-Uribe, A., You, S. C., Ahmed, W. U., Kostka, K., Reich, C., Duvall, S. L., Lynch, K. E., Matheny, M. E., Duarte-Salles, T., Bertolin, S. F., Hripcsak, G., Natarajan, K., Falconer, T., Spotnitz, M., Ostropolets, A., Blacketer, C., Alshammari, T. M., , Alghoul, H., et al. (2021). COVID-19 in patients with autoimmune diseases: characteristics and outcomes in a multinational network of cohorts across three countries. Rheumatology (Oxford, England), 60(SI), SI37-SI50.
- Tolentino, D. A., Subbian, V., & Gephart, S. M. (2021). Applying Computational Ethnography to Examine Nurses' Workflow Within Electronic Health Records. Nursing research, 70(2), 132-141.
- Villa-Zapata, L., Carhart, B. S., Horn, J. R., Hansten, P. D., Subbian, V., Gephart, S., Tan, M., Romero, A., & Malone, D. C. (2021). Serum potassium changes due to concomitant ACEI/ARB and spironolactone therapy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Health-system Pharmacy, 78(24), 2245-2255.
- Wong, A. A., Marrone, N. L., Fabiano-Smith, L., Beeson, P. M., Franco, M. A., Subbian, V., & Lozano, G. I. (2021). Engaging Faculty in Shifting Toward Holistic Review: Changing Graduate Admissions Procedures at a Land-Grant, Hispanic-Serving Institution. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 30(5), 1925-1939.
- Zhang, T., Mosier, J., & Subbian, V. (2021). Identifying Barriers to and Opportunities for Telehealth Implementation Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic by Using a Human Factors Approach: A Leap Into the Future of Health Care Delivery?. JMIR human factors, 8(2), e24860.
- Alper, B. S., Richardson, J. E., Lehmann, H. P., & Subbian, V. (2020). It is time for computable evidence synthesis: The COVID-19 Knowledge Accelerator initiative. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA, 27(8), 1338-1339.
- Budinoff, H. D., & Subbian, V. (2021). Asset-based Approaches to Engineering Design Education: A Scoping Review of Theory and Practice. In 2021 ASEE Annual Conference.
- Subbian, V., Franco, M., & Lozano, G. (2019, 6). STEM Servingness at Hispanic-Serving Institutions. In ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Alvarez, A. M., Johnson, P. C., Shaw, L. R., Zawada, S., Franco, M. A., & Subbian, V. (2018, April). Beyond Ramps and Signs: Rethinking Support Structures for Engineering Students with Disabilities. In ASEE Collaborative Network for Engineering and Computing Diversity Conference.
- Lozano, G. I., Franco, M. A., & Subbian, V. (2018, April). Transforming STEM Education in Hispanic Serving Institutions in the United States: A Consensus Report. In Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3238702.
- Vezino, B., Alvarez, A. M., Hempel, B., Loera, C. J., Davidson, S., Boyd, S., & Subbian, V. (2018, June). Re-envisioning the Role of the Engineering Education Chapter at a Research-I Institution: Lessons from a Cross-disciplinary Model. In ASEE Annual Conference.
- Subbian, V., Niu, N., & Purdy, C. (2016, 6). Inclusive and Evidence-based Instruction in Software Testing Education. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Purdy, C., & Beyette, F. R. (2016). UnLecture on Software Engineering Ethics. In Infusing Ethics into the Development of Engineers: Exemplary Education Activities and Programs, 17-18.
- Subbian, V., Bucks, G., & Heikenfeld, J. (2015, 6). Inverting Instruction in a Semiconductor Devices Course: A Case Study of a Flipped Electrical Engineering Classroom. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Ratcliff, J. J., Meunier, J. M., Unruh, D., Korfhagen, J. J., Subbian, V., Hart, K. W., Beyette, F. R., Shaw, G. J., Lindsell, C. J., & Bogdanov, V. Y. (2014, 5). A Potential Novel Biomarker of Injury Observed through Activation of the Coagulation Cascade in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. In Academic Emergency Medicine, 21, S254-S255.
- Simkins, J. R., Subbian, V., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). A programmable point-of-care device for external CSF drainage and monitoring. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 2161-2164.
- Subbian, V., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). A Hybrid Design Methodology for an Introductory Software Engineering Course with Integrated Mobile Application Development. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). UnLecture: Bridging the Gap between Computing Education and Software Engineering Practice. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Beyette, F., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). UnLecture: A Novel Active Learning Based Pedagogical Strategy for Engineering Courses. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Meunier, J. M., Korfhagen, J. J., Ratcliff, J. J., Shaw, G. J., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). Quantitative assessment of post-concussion syndrome following mild traumatic brain injury using robotic technology. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 5353-5356.
- Voss, T. J., Subbian, V., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). Feasibility of energy harvesting techniques for wearable medical devices. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 626-629.
- Arizona Champion
- Office of the Provost, Spring 2022
- Excellence at the Student Interface Award
- Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Spring 2021
- Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Spring 2019
- Center for University Education Scholarship (CUES) Distinguished Fellow
- The University of Arizona, Spring 2018