Assistant Professor of Systems and Industrial Engineering
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Vignesh Subbian is an Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Systems and Industrial Engineering, member of the BIO5 Institute, and a Distinguished Fellow of the Center for University Education Scholarship (CUES) at the University of Arizona (UA). His professional areas of interest include medical informatics, healthcare systems engineering, and broadening participation in engineering and computing. Dr. Subbian leads the Computational Medicine and INformatics (COM-IN) Collaboratory at the UA, with a focus on transforming human health and healthcare and health through engineering-driven and integrative research as well as training next-generation scientists, engineers, clinicians, and leaders through personalized mentorship and true multidisciplinary immersion. Funded through the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), research efforts in the COM-IN Collaboratory leverage systems engineering and computational methods including machine learning for clinical and healthcare applications. Current patient populations of interest include cardiovascular diseases, traumatic brain injury, and mental health disorders. Dr. Subbian is the principal investigator on an NSF Smart and Connected Health award to develop advanced computational models and tools for critical care medicine, particularly traumatic brain injury prognosis.
Dr. Subbian’s educational research is focused on ethical decision-making and formation of identities in engineering. His work in ethics education has been featured in the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Exemplars in Engineering Ethics Education, an effort aimed to improve students’ understanding of ethical practice and research in engineering. He served as the co-chair of the NSF-funded Southwest STEM in Hispanic-serving Institutions (HSI) Conference (2017), and currently co-leads the STEM in HSI working group at the UA. He also leads the Collaborative for Engineering Education Research and Outreach (CEERO), a cross-college, interdisciplinary network of faculty, staff, and students to promote engineering education at all levels.
- Ph.D. Computer Science and Engineering
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
- M.S. Electrical Engineering
- University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Software Engineering, Biomedical Data Science and Informatics, Ethics and Professional and Social Responsibility
Medical Informatics, Healthcare Systems Engineering, Computing Applications for Critical Care Medicine, Traumatic Brain Injury, STEM Integration, Engineering Ethics, Formation of Engineers
- Essay, P., Shahin, T. B., Balkan, B., Mosier, J., & Subbian, V. (2019). The Connected Intensive Care Unit Patient: Exploratory Analyses and Cohort Discovery From a Critical Care Telemedicine Database. JMIR Medical Informatics, 7(1), e13006.
- Lozano, G. I., Franco, M. A., & Subbian, V. (2018). Transforming STEM Education in Hispanic Serving Institutions in the United States: A Consensus Report. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3238702.
- Rowe, R. K., Harrison, J. L., Morrison, H., Subbian, V., Murphy, S. M., & Lifshitz, J. (2018). Acute Post-traumatic Sleep may define Vulnerability to a Second Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice. Journal of Neurotrauma.
- Schmitz, H., Howe, C. L., Armstrong, D. G., & Subbian, V. (2018). Leveraging Mobile Health Applications for Biomedical Research and Citizen Science: A Scoping Review. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 25(12), 1685-1695.
- Shahin, T. B., Vaishnav, K. V., Watchman, M., Subbian, V., Larson, E., Chnari, E., & Armstrong, D. G. (2017). Tissue Augmentation with Allograft Adipose Matrix For the Diabetic Foot in Remission. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Global open, 5(10), e1555.
- Tenenbaum, J. D., Bhuvaneshwar, K., Gagliardi, J. P., Fultz Hollis, K., Jia, P., Ma, L., Nagarajan, R., Rakesh, G., Subbian, V., Visweswaran, S., Zhao, Z., & Rozenblit, L. (2017). Translational bioinformatics in mental health: open access data sources and computational biomarker discovery. Briefings in bioinformatics.
- Subbian, V., Ratcliff, J. J., Korfhagen, J. J., Hart, K. W., Meunier, J. M., Shaw, G. J., Lindsell, C. J., & Beyette, F. R. (2016). A Novel Tool for Evaluation of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Patients in the Emergency Department: Does Robotic Assessment of Neuromotor Performance Following Injury Predict the Presence of Postconcussion Symptoms at Follow‐up?. Academic Emergency Medicine, 23(4), 382-392.
- Duran, C., Subbian, V., Giovanetti, M. T., Simkins, J. R., & Beyette Jr, F. (2015). Experimental desktop 3D printing using dual extrusion and water-soluble polyvinyl alcohol. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 21(5), 528-534.
- Subbian, V., Ratcliff, J. J., Meunier, J. M., Korfhagen, J. J., Beyette, F. R., & Shaw, G. J. (2015). Integration of new technology for research in the emergency department: feasibility of deploying a robotic assessment tool for mild traumatic brain injury evaluation. IEEE journal of translational engineering in health and medicine, 3, 1-9.
- Alvarez, A. M., Johnson, P. C., Shaw, L. R., Zawada, S., Franco, M. A., & Subbian, V. (2018, April). Beyond Ramps and Signs: Rethinking Support Structures for Engineering Students with Disabilities. In ASEE Collaborative Network for Engineering and Computing Diversity Conference.
- Vezino, B., Alvarez, A. M., Hempel, B., Loera, C. J., Davidson, S., Boyd, S., & Subbian, V. (2018, June). Re-envisioning the Role of the Engineering Education Chapter at a Research-I Institution: Lessons from a Cross-disciplinary Model. In ASEE Annual Conference.
- Subbian, V., Niu, N., & Purdy, C. (2016, 6). Inclusive and Evidence-based Instruction in Software Testing Education. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Purdy, C., & Beyette, F. R. (2016). UnLecture on Software Engineering Ethics. In Infusing Ethics into the Development of Engineers: Exemplary Education Activities and Programs, 17-18.
- Subbian, V., Bucks, G., & Heikenfeld, J. (2015, 6). Inverting Instruction in a Semiconductor Devices Course: A Case Study of a Flipped Electrical Engineering Classroom. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Ratcliff, J. J., Meunier, J. M., Unruh, D., Korfhagen, J. J., Subbian, V., Hart, K. W., Beyette, F. R., Shaw, G. J., Lindsell, C. J., & Bogdanov, V. Y. (2014, 5). A Potential Novel Biomarker Of Injury Observed Through Activation Of The Coagulation Cascade In Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. In Academic Emergency Medicine, 21, S254-S255.
- Simkins, J. R., Subbian, V., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). A programmable point-of-care device for external CSF drainage and monitoring. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 2161-2164.
- Subbian, V., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). A Hybrid Design Methodology for an Introductory Software Engineering Course with Integrated Mobile Application Development. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). UnLecture: Bridging the Gap between Computing Education and Software Engineering Practice. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Beyette, F., & Purdy, C. (2014, 6). UnLecture: A Novel Active Learning Based Pedagogical Strategy for Engineering Courses. In Annual ASEE Conference.
- Subbian, V., Meunier, J. M., Korfhagen, J. J., Ratcliff, J. J., Shaw, G. J., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). Quantitative assessment of post-concussion syndrome following mild traumatic brain injury using robotic technology. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 5353-5356.
- Voss, T. J., Subbian, V., & Beyette, F. R. (2014, 7). Feasibility of energy harvesting techniques for wearable medical devices. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, 626-629.
- Wright, K., Sherman, M., Cargile, R., & Subbian, V. (2014, 3). CincySTEM Urban Initiative: Designing pathways to science and engineering disciplines through project-based learning. In Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), 2014 IEEE, 1-5.
- Zirger, B., Rutz, E., Boyd, D., Tappel, J., & Subbian, V. (2014, 3). Creating pathways to higher education: a cross-disciplinary MOOC with graduate credit. In Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), 2014 IEEE, 1-5.
- Al-Deneh, Z., Ambekar, D., Dao, T., Dziech, A. L., Subbian, V., & Beyette, F. R. (2013, 7). Experimental validation of a microcontroller-based wireless device to quantify head impacts. In Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), 2013 IEEE 56th International Midwest Symposium on, 392-395.
- Center for University Education Scholarship (CUES) Distinguished Fellow
- The University of Arizona, Spring 2018