Associate Professor of Systems and Industrial Engineering
Associate Professor, Applied Mathematics Graduate Interdisciplinary Program
Associate Professor, Statistics Graduate Interdisciplinary Program
Dr. Neng Fan is an associate professor at Department of Systems and Industrial Engineerin at the University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, and member of the Applied Mathematics-GIDP and Statistics-GIDP. He received his master and PhD degrees from Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at University of Florida. His research focuses on large-scale optimization, and its applications in energy systems, renewable energy integration, healthcare, sustainable agriculture, etc. His work has been supported by National Science Foundation, US Department of Energy, US Department of Agriculture, and local industrials. He is a member of INFORMS and a member of IISE.
- Ph.D. Industrial and Systems Engineering
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States
Optimization, Operations Research, Probability and Statistics
Large-scale optimization, and its applications in energy systems, renewable energy integration, healthcare, sustainable agriculture
- Zhong, Z., Fan, N., & Wu, L. (2023). A hybrid robust-stochastic optimization approach for day-ahead scheduling of cascaded hydroelectric systems in restructured electricity market. European Journal of Operational Research, 306(2), 909--926. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2022.06.061
- Zuniga Vazquez, D., Qiu, F., Fan, N., & Sharp, K. (2022). Wildfire mitigation plans in power systems: a literature review. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 37(5), 3540--3551. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2022.3142086
- Gu, W., Fan, N., & Liao, H. (2021). Fitting aggregated phase-type distributions to the length-of-stay in intra-hospital patient transfers. Operations Research for Health Care, 29, 100291. doi:10.1016/j.orhc.2021.100291
- Gu, W., Fan, N., & Liao, H. (2021). Modeling the length-of-stay of patients with geriatric diseases or alcohol use disorder using phase-type distributions with covariates. IISE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 11, 181--191. doi:10.1080/24725579.2020.1866715
- Karimi, S., Liao, H., & Fan, N. (2021). Flexible methods for reliability estimation using aggregate failure-time data. IISE Transactions, 53(1), 101-115. doi:10.1080/24725854.2020.1746869
- Zuniga Vazquez, D., Fan, N., Teegerstrom, T., Seavert, C., Summers, H., Sproul, E., & Quinn, J. (2021). Optimal production planning and machinery scheduling for semi-arid farms. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 187, 106288. doi:10.1016/j.compag.2021.106288
- Zuniga Vazquez, D., Sun, O., Fan, N., Sproul, E., Summers, H., Quinn, J., Khanal, S., Gutierrez, P., Mealing, V., Landies, A., Seavert, C., Teegerstrom, T., & Evancho, B. (2021). Integrating environmental and social impacts into optimal design of guayule and guar supply chains. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 146, 107223. doi:10.1016/j.compchemeng.2021.107223
- Ruiz Duarte, J., Fan, N., & Jin, T. (2020). Multi-process production scheduling with variable renewable integration and demand response. European Journal of Operational Research, 281(1), 186-200. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2019.08.017
- Sproul, E., Summers, H., Seavert, C., Robbs, J., Khanal, S., Mealing, V., Landies, A., Fan, N., Sun, O., & Quinn, J. (2020). Integrated techno-economic and environmental analysis of guayule rubber production. Journal of Cleaner Production, 273, 122811. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122811
- Gu, W., Fan, N., & Liao, H. (2019). Evaluating readmission rates and discharge planning by analyzing the length-of-stay of patients. Annals of Operations Research, 276(1-2), 89-108. doi:10.1007/s10479-018-2957-1
- Sun, O., & Fan, N. (2019). Solving multistage PMU placement problem by integer programming and equivalent network design model. Journal of Global Optimization, 74(3), 477--493. doi:10.1007/s10898-018-0672-8
- Wang, X., Fan, N., & Pardalos, P. M. (2018). Robust chance-constrained support vector machines with second-order moment information. Annals of Operations Research, 263(1-2), 45-68. doi:10.1007/s10479-015-2039-6
- Chen, R. L., Fan, N., Pinar, A., & Watson, J. (2017). Contingency-constrained unit commitment with post-contingency corrective recourse. Annals of Operations Research, 249(1), 381-407. doi:10.1007/s10479-014-1760-x
- Golari, M., Fan, N., & Jin, T. (2017). Multistage stochastic optimization for production-inventory planning with intermittent renewable energy. Production and Operations Management, 26(3), 409-425. doi:10.1111/poms.12657
- Guo, Z., Chen, R., Fan, N., & Watson, J. (2017). Contingency-constrained unit commitment with intervening time for system adjustments. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 32(4), 3049-3059. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2016.2612680
- Zhong, Z., Fan, N., & Wu, L. (2022, Jul). Robust optimization for the day-ahead scheduling of cascaded hydroelectric systems. In Proceedings of IEEE PES General Meeting.
- Zuniga Vazquez, D., Ruiz Duarte, J., Fan, N., Qiu, F., & Wang, J. (2020, Feb). Reliable power grid expansion considering N-1-1 contingencies. In IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference.
- Ruiz Duarte, J. L., Hou, S., & Fan, N. (2019, May). Water-constrained optimal operations of power grid with renewable integration. In Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Zuniga Vazquez, D. A., & Fan, N. (2019, Oct). Two-stage stochastic power grid expansion considering multiple N-1-1 contingencies. In Proceedings of 51st North American Power Symposium.
- Hou, S., & Fan, N. (2018, May). Optimal operations and scheduling of water pump stations considering energy consumption. In Proceedings of the 2018 IISE Annual Conference, 2056-2061.
- Fan, N., & Golari, M. (2014). Integer programming formulations for minimum spanning forests and connected components in sparse graphs. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., Sadeghi, E., & Pardalos, P. M. (2014). Robust support vector machines with polyhedral uncertainty of the input data. In International Conference on Learning and Intelligent Optimization.
- Fan, N., & Watson, J. (2012). Solving the connected dominating set problem and power dominating set problem by integer programming. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., Chen, R., & Watson, J. (2012). N-1-1 contingency-constrained optimal power flow by interdiction methods. In 2012 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting.
- Fan, N., & Pan, F. (2011). Locating phasor measurements and detecting cutset angles in power systems. In Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2011 IEEE PES.
- Fan, N., Zheng, Q. P., & Pardalos, P. M. (2011). On the two-stage stochastic graph partitioning problem. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., & Pardalos, P. M. (2010). Robust optimization of graph partitioning and critical node detection in analyzing networks. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.