Associate Professor of Systems and Industrial Engineering
Assistant Professor, Applied Mathematics Graduate Interdisciplinary Program
Assistant Professor, Statistics Graduate Interdisciplinary Program
Dr. Neng Fan is an associate professor at Department of Systems and Industrial Engineerin, and also member of Graduate Interdisciplinary Program (GIDP) in Statistics, and GIDP in Applied Math at the University of Arizona (UA), Tucson, Arizona. He received his bachelor degree in computational mathematics from Wuhan University in China, and master degree in applied mathematics from Nankai University in China. He also received his master and PhD degrees from Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at University of Florida. Before joining UA, he worked in Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico and Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico. His research focuses on development of various optimization methodologies, and their applications in energy systems, renewable energy integration, healthcare, sustainable agriculture, and data analytics. His work has been supported by National Science Foundation, US Department of Energy, US Department of Agriculture, and local industrials.
- Ph.D. Industrial and Systems Engineering
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States
- Combinatorial and Nonlinear Optimization Methods with Applications in Data Clustering, Biclustering and Power Systems
- M.S. Industrial and Systems Engineering
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States
- M.S. Applied Math
- Nankai University, Tianjin, China
- B.S. Computational Math
- Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Optimization, Operations Research, Probability, Statistics, Data Analytics, Machine Learning
(1) Methodologies in Optimization: Integer programming, combinatorial optimization, stochastic programming, robust optimization, multilevel programming, large-scale optimization; (2) Applied Operations Research: energy systems, water systems, renewable energy integration, interdependent infrastructures, healthcare, sustainable agriculture; (3) Data Analytics: data mining, machine learning, high-dimensional data with uncertainties
- Ruiz Duarte, J., Fan, N., & Jin, T. (2020). Multi-process production scheduling with variable renewable integration and demand response. European Journal of Operational Research, 281(1), 186-200. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2019.08.017
- Gu, W., Fan, N., & Liao, H. (2019). Evaluating readmission rates and discharge planning by analyzing the length-of-stay of patients. Annals of Operations Research, 276(1-2), 89-108. doi:10.1007/s10479-018-2957-1
- Ruiz Duarte, J., & Fan, N. (2019). Operations of a microgrid with renewable energy integration and line switching. Energy Systems, 10(2), 247-272. doi:10.1007/s12667-018-0286-8
- Sun, O., & Fan, N. (2019). Solving multistage PMU placement problem by integer programming and equivalent network design model. Journal of Global Optimization, 74(3), 477--493. doi:10.1007/s10898-018-0672-8
- Sun, O., & Fan, N. (2019). The probabilistic and reliable connected power dominating set problems. Optimization Letters, 13(5), 1189--1206. doi:10.1007/s11590-018-1339-6
- Wang, X., Fan, N., & Pardalos, P. M. (2018). Robust chance-constrained support vector machines with second-order moment information. Annals of Operations Research, 263(1-2), 45-68. doi:10.1007/s10479-015-2039-6
- Chen, R. L., Fan, N., Pinar, A., & Watson, J. (2017). Contingency-constrained unit commitment with post-contingency corrective recourse. Annals of Operations Research, 249(1), 381-407. doi:10.1007/s10479-014-1760-x
- Golari, M., Fan, N., & Jin, T. (2017). Multistage stochastic optimization for production-inventory planning with intermittent renewable energy. Production and Operations Management, 26(3), 409-425. doi:10.1111/poms.12657
- Golari, M., Fan, N., & Wang, J. (2017). Large-scale stochastic power grid islanding operations by line switching and controlled load shedding. Energy Systems, 8(3), 601–621. doi:10.1007/s12667-016-0215-7
- Guo, Z., Chen, R., Fan, N., & Watson, J. (2017). Contingency-constrained unit commitment with intervening time for system adjustments. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 32(4), 3049-3059. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2016.2612680
- Wang, X., Fan, N., & Pardalos, P. M. (2017). Stochastic subgradient descent method for large-scale robust chance-constrained support vector machines. Optimization Letters, 11(5), 1013–1024. doi:10.1007/s11590-016-1026-4
- Zhang, P., & Fan, N. (2017). Analysis of budget for interdiction on multicommodity network flows. Journal of Global Optimization, 67(3), 495-525. doi:10.1007/s10898-016-0422-8
- Zhang, P., Fan, N., & Liu, W. (2017). Mixed integer programming with dose-volume constraints in intensity-modulated proton therapy. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 18(5), 29–35. doi:10.1002/acm2.12130
- Dabkowski, M., Fan, N., & Breiger, R. (2016). Exploratory blockmodeling for one-mode, unsigned, deterministic networks using integer programming and structural equivalence. Social Networks, 47, 93--106.
- Sadeghi, E., & Fan, N. (2016). On the minimum-cost lambda-edge-connected k-subgraph problem. Computational Management Science, 13(4), 571–596. doi:10.1007/s10287-016-0260-7
- Zuniga Vazquez, D., Ruiz Duarte, J., Fan, N., Qiu, F., & Wang, J. (2020, Feb). Reliable power grid expansion considering N-1-1 contingencies. In IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference.
- Ruiz Duarte, J. L., Hou, S., & Fan, N. (2019, May). Water-constrained optimal operations of power grid with renewable integration. In Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Zuniga Vazquez, D. A., & Fan, N. (2019, Oct). Two-stage stochastic power grid expansion considering multiple N-1-1 contingencies. In Proceedings of 51st North American Power Symposium.
- Hou, S., & Fan, N. (2018, May). Optimal operations and scheduling of water pump stations considering energy consumption. In Proceedings of the 2018 IISE Annual Conference, 2056-2061.
- Pan, Y., Li, M., Fan, N., & Hou, Y. (2018, Jun). On the throughput limit of multi-hop wireless networks with reconfigurable antennas. In The 15th IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON 2018).
- Fan, N., & Golari, M. (2014). Integer programming formulations for minimum spanning forests and connected components in sparse graphs. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., Sadeghi, E., & Pardalos, P. M. (2014). Robust support vector machines with polyhedral uncertainty of the input data. In International Conference on Learning and Intelligent Optimization.
- Fan, N., & Watson, J. (2012). Solving the connected dominating set problem and power dominating set problem by integer programming. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., Chen, R., & Watson, J. (2012). N-1-1 contingency-constrained optimal power flow by interdiction methods. In 2012 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting.
- Fan, N., & Pan, F. (2011). Locating phasor measurements and detecting cutset angles in power systems. In Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2011 IEEE PES.
- Fan, N., Zheng, Q. P., & Pardalos, P. M. (2011). On the two-stage stochastic graph partitioning problem. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.
- Fan, N., & Pardalos, P. M. (2010). Robust optimization of graph partitioning and critical node detection in analyzing networks. In International Conference on Combinatorial Optimization and Applications.