Vice President of Black Advancement and Engagement
Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
Associate Professor of Systems and Industrial Engineering
- Presidential Post-Doctoral Fellowship Psychology
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States
- Decision-making under time pressure
- Ph.D. Psychology
- University of Lund (Sweden), Lund, Skone, Sweden
- Studies in human decision-making: On the effects of experimental instructions, framing and time constraints. Faculty Supervisor: Professor Ola Svenson
- M.A. Psychology
- University of California at San Diego, San Diego, California, United States
- B.A. Mass Communication
- University of California at Davis, Davis, California, United States
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona (2012 - 2019)
- Africana Studies Program (2011 - Ongoing)
- College of Humanities, University of Arizona (2008 - 2010)
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina (2006 - 2007)
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona (2001 - Ongoing)
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina (2001 - 2002)
- Georgetown University (1999 - 2000)
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona (1995 - 2001)
Leadership and Risk Management:Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:Sports Management:Managerial Effectiveness:Bargaining and Negotiation:Leadership and Teams:The Life Cycle of Elite Athletes:Professional Image Management
Judgment and Decision-Making:Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:Risk Management:The Effect of Time Pressure on Judgment and Decision Making:Image Theory:Sports Psychology:
Licensure & Certification
- Leadership Development Program (LDP), Center for Creative Leadership (2009)
- Risk Management for Corporate Leaders:, Harvard Business School Executive Education (2021)
- Ordonez, L. D., Benson, L., & Pittarello, A. (2015). Time Pressure Perception and Decision Making. In The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Judgment and Decision Making.
- Benson, L. (2008). The role of third-parties/mediation in resolving conflict in organizations(pp 291-320). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Benson, L. (2005). Organizational justice. In Handbook of work stress(pp 63-87). Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Benson, L. (1993). Framing and time pressure in human decision-making. In Time pressure and stress in human judgment and decision-making(pp 133-144). New York: Plenum.
- Benson, L., Ellis, A. P., Motro, D. D., & Evans, J. J. (2022). Motro, D., Evans, J.B., Ellis, A.P. J., & Benson, III, L. (2022) The “Angry Black Woman” Stereotype at Work. Harvard Business Review.. Harvard Business Review..
- Motro, D. D., Evans, J. B., Ellis, A. P., & Benson, L. (2021). Race and reactions to negative feedback among women at work: Examining effects of the ‘angry black woman’ stereotype. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Cropanzano, R., & Li, A. (2011). Peer Justice and Teamwork Process.. Group & Organizational Management, 36(5), 567-596.
- Cropanzano, R., Li, A., & Benson, L. (2011). Peer Justice and Teamwork Process. GROUP & ORGANIZATION MANAGEMENT, 36(5), 567-596.
- Griffith, T. L., Tansik, D. A., & III, L. B. (2002). Negotiating technology implementation: An empirical investigation of a website introduction. Group Decision and Negotiation, 11(1), 1-22.
- Ordonez, L., Benson, L., & Beach, L. (1999). Testing the compatibility test: How instructions, accountability, and anticipated regret affect prechoice screening of options. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR AND HUMAN DECISION PROCESSES, 78(1), 63-80.
- Gilliland, S., Benson, L., & Schepers, D. (1998). A rejection threshold in justice evaluations: Effects on judgment and decision-making. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR AND HUMAN DECISION PROCESSES, 76(2), 113-131.
- Ordonez, L., & Benson, L. (1997). Decisions under time pressure: How time constraint affects risky decision making. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR AND HUMAN DECISION PROCESSES, 71(2), 121-140.
- Benson, L., & Beach, L. (1996). The effects of time constraints on the prechoice screening of decision options. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR AND HUMAN DECISION PROCESSES, 67(2), 222-228.
- Benson, L. (1992). Post-decision consolidation following the debriefing of subjects about experimental manipulations affecting their prior decisions. Psychological Research Bulletin, 32(3), 1-13..
- Benson, L. (1993). Contributions of cross-cultural research to educational practice.. American Psychologist, 41(10), 1049-1057..
- Benson, L., Groth, M., Beach, L., Hoadley, E., & Benbasat, . (1998, 1998). The relationship between time constraint and time pressure. In ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SYSTEMS PROCEEDINGS OF THE AMERICAS CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION SYSTEMS, 243-245.
- Janakiraman, N., Benson, L., Lee, A., & Soman, D. (2008). "How Long You Received Service Determines How Long You Thought You Were in Line: Role of Fairness and Prior Expectations". ADVANCES IN CONSUMER RESEARCH, VOL 35.
- Outstanding Advisor
- Mortarboard National Honorary Society, University of Arizona, Spring 1999
- Wakonse Teaching Fellowship:
- University of Arizona, (this is a statewide teaching award), Spring 1998
- Teacher of the Year and Convocation Speaker
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, Spring 1998
- Professor of the Year:
- Business and Public Administration Student Council The College of Business and Public Administration, University of Arizona, Spring 1998
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher
- Management and Policy Department, Spring 1997
- Management and Policy Department, University of Arizona, Spring 2001
- Honorable Mention Outstanding Courses
- Eller College of Management MBA, Fall 2019
- Distinguished Service Award
- Africana Studies Program, College of Humanities, Fall 2018
- Evening Cohort Faculty Service Award
- Eller College Undergraduate Evening Cohort, Spring 2018
- Outstanding Faculty Award (Eller Evening Cohort)
- Eller College, Spring 2018
- Distinguished Faculty Award
- The University of Arizona President’s Community Council, Fall 2016
- Eller Executive MBA Program,, Fall 2006
- Legacy of Excellence Keynote Speaker
- Tucson Unified School District, Fall 2016
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year
- Evening MBA Eller College of Management -Evening MBA, Fall 2015
- Community Leadership Award
- The Tucson Urban League, Spring 2014
- Whitney M. Young Award
- The Tucson Urban League, Spring 2014
- Evening MBA Most Valuable Professor
- Eller College of Management, University of ArizonaLegacy of, Fall 2013
- Evening Undergraduate Cohort Outstanding Professor
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, Fall 2012
- MBA Faculty Leadership Award
- Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, Fall 2009
- Outstanding Teacher:
- The Society for Human Resource Management, University of Arizona, Fall 2001